MG34 Trommelhalter top cover 'WaA4'
A very scarce original Trommelhalter (drum holder) milled top cover for the MG34. This accessory was designed to adapt any MG34 to accept the 75 round Patronentrommel 34 (PT34) double drum magazine.
Originally destined for use in anti-aircraft positions, the double drum soon became obsolete and was replaced by the standard 50 round Gurttrommel (belt drum), during 1939. Nevertheless, the PT34 double drum and Trommelhalter top cover would go on to be used almost exclusively by armoured units - with MG34s mounted on Sd.Kfz250/215/222/223 vehicles amongst others.
This particular example is presented in truly excellent condition, and is by far the best example of its type which we have encountered. All parts are fully functional, including both of the spring-loaded flaps, release button and locking latch.
The cover is marked with the MG34 serial number '9457a', with this number matching on all of the small components throughout.
As is typical with these parts, the three larger Waffenamts have been lined though, however, all of the smaller stamps have survived and still remain intact on this example. Given that these read 'WaA4', production can be attributed to Gustloff-Werke, Waffenfabrik Suhl - who also produced MG34s themselves, under various codes throughout the war (BSW, 936, dfb).
Overall, a superb example of this highly sought after part and surely a must-have item for any serious MG34 collection!