MG34 Trommelhalter top cover 'BSW WaA4'
A very scarce original, early-war Trommelhalter (drum holder) machined top cover for the MG34. This part was designed to adapt any MG34 to accept the 75 round Patronentrommel 34 (PT34) double drum magazine.
Originally destined for use in anti-aircraft positions, the PT34 double drum soon became obsolete and was replaced by the standard 50 round Gurttrommel (belt drum) during 1939. Nevertheless, the PT34 double drum and Trommelhalter top cover would go on to be used almost exclusively by armoured units - with MG34s mounted on Sd.Kfz250/215/222/223 vehicles amongst others.
This particular example is presented in excellent condition, with fully functional parts throughout - including both of the spring-loaded flaps, release button and locking latch.
In addition, this comprises one of just a handful of surviving covers which have not fallen into Russian hands - but rather the Finns ('SA' marked). As such, all of the markings remain intact on this example and are not crudely lined out as on the RC examples. It features numerous 'BSW' and 'WaA4' proof marks to indicate production by Gustloff-Werke, Waffenwerke Suhl.
The cover is also an unnumbered variant, meaning that this is a part will 'match' any MG34!
Overall, a truly superb example of this highly sought after part and surely a must-have item in any serious MG34 collection!
**Please note that this item is only available to customers whose postal address is situated within the UK mainland. No international shipping.